May 30, 2011

Urte "Textile Jewelry and Vintage clothing"

http://www.etsy.com/listing/68833564/mermaids-wish-upcycled-cotton-neckpiece
http://www.etsy.com/listing/69275450/sailors-chains-pleat-cotton-necklace


My name is Urte and I'm originally Lithuanian, but I've been wondering around quite a bit lately. I make textile jewelry from rejected/unwanted fabrics. I simply like giving things a new life. My textile jewelry is inspired by theatrical costumes that are made to look great from a distance. That creates a sort of illusion where sparkly paper turns into jewels and torn fabric into the finest silk. Nature too has a great influence on my work as I've been  surrounded by it for a while. I'm often borrowing shapes, textures and even colors from it. I like tearing, tying, and knotting, so neat hems are rarely found on my pieces. At the moment, I'm in love with all shades of white, which clearly dominates my recent projects.
I'm aiming to give them a rustic, organic, wild look together with a feel of elegance and mystery.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring me! it's looking really great here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her creations are indeed very theatrical. And her photos are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot, I now have a website too. www.urtekaralaite.eu
    Elsa, do you think you could include it in the post? otherwise it's fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OnePerfectDay > I'm so happy you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of "theatrical costumes that are made to look great from a distance". Very cool! Great work, Urte!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you ike it Ute, I've added your website address to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Elsa.
    Taylor Lynn, thanks for the compliments, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome, Urte! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your creation..it looks very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Elsa...
    Your projects are all so cool.
    Could I place the link on my own blogspot page?
    http://raydakid.blogspot.com/
    Ray

    ReplyDelete

your comment is appreciated